Well yes actually, it is all about me.

Monday, March 19, 2007

I found a fox in the road so I took the skull.

So there goes another weekend. It was a good one, but I feel I have to cover some of last week’s adventures before I reach the weekend.

So, Wednesday was pretty unmemorable in that nothing very interesting happened. Oh, I went out for a curry with Jen and Joe since it was his last night in Falmouth until after Easter and that was very nice. Then Thursday we had a guest lecturer come in, a children's book author. And that was good, but she was really nervous about speaking in public and it was all a bit awkward. Particularly because she rushed and any jokes she made were lot in the blur of her chatter.

Thursday night I went out for drinks with the guys from my course and it ended up being quite a messy night. My friend Sara stayed at my house and in the morning neither of us could remember how we got home. Bit concerning. Still, we managed to make it in for the MA class at 9.30am which was pretty good going I think though I was a bit hysterical by that time.

I can't remember what happened on Friday night...oh yes, yes I can. I went out for dinner with Jenny and her visiting friend from London, Lizzie. Lizzie works as an editor and had with her a client who only addressed her at the table. He didn't even try to engage Jen or I in conversation. It was pretty painful. It's so weird when you meet an adult who acts in that kind of way, as if they have no social skills at all. In children you can kind of understand it, but in adults it's just bizarre and a bit creepy.

Saturday I spent doing a bit of work on my first chapter, then went to the gym, then back to work before going out for Ben's birthday which was great fun. We got drunk and danced. The way a birthday should be. I felt a bit ropey yesterday, but after a three hour walk on and around the beach with Antje, everything felt a bit better. Worked again for a few hours and then we settled down to watch Fried Green Tomatoes, which made us feel warm and fuzzy. Just as well since living in my house is like being in a morgue. Honestly, it's so cold. I woke up this morning and swore I must have left the window open, but I hadn't. It was so freezing I didn't want to get out of bed. But I made it in the end and am now at Kath's babysitting Tia (her dog). I've told Tia that I'm going to get some work done and then we'll go out for a walk and she seems fine with that plan.

God, I completely forgot about a mad person I met on Saturday night. When I got to the pub on Saturday night to meet Ben and co, there was a table with a seat free while everyone else was standing. So I sat down, turned to my right and said hello to the girl next to me. We were introduced and then got talking./ At which point it became clear she was a crazy. Here are a couple of lines I remember:

Her: I had a really good day.
Me: Oh, that's good, what happened?
Her: I got my microscope fixed and someone gave me a box of slides of viruses.
Me: That's...that's good. Great.
Her: There's loads in there. Malaria, meningitis....

Another:

Her: I found a fox today.
Me: ?
Her: I found a fox in the road so I took the skull.
Me: Why?
Her: I collect bones.
Me: Oh, okay...
Her: I set my alarm for five months to go back and get the rest. I'll be tempted to go back sooner. I hope no-one else takes it before I can get there.
Me: I'm sure you'll be fine.

So that was nice. Turns out this girl is more an acquaintance of Ben's and known to be a bit loony. Ben came to get me after I'd been sitting with her for about an hour, saying, 'Come and meet someone.' He said he felt sorry for me and that he could see I needed saving.

But, as painful as the conversation was, I kind of loved it. I wished I had a transcript of the whole thing. It was all so weird. I'd love a friend like that to take with me to places and introduce to people before waking off and leaving them for hours.

Anyway, more later. I have to do some work.


xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home