Well yes actually, it is all about me.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Don't give ugly people authority.

Right, so the weekend is over and was in part horrendous and in part very relaxing. The horrendous part was Friday night. Having got a lot of work done, we decided to go out for some drinks and a bit of a dance. So started off all very nice in the Seven Stars with some Fish and Chips, then walked down to Falmouth (a fifteen minute walk, Holly said; more like a fifteen minute for each foot) and met some more friends in Jacob's Ladder. All very well and good so far. I had a few G and Ts and then we all headed down to this dive of a club called Remedies. It's not nice by any stretch of the imagination but it has later opening hours and a dancefloor. It ticked all the right boxes for the evening. Anyway, off I was at the bar when I come back to the table and see that there are three security guards surrounding everyone but mainly Frea. I didn't know what was going on and no-one around did either. It later turned out that Frea had put her head down on the sofa for about 20 seconds when the security morons lynched her and told her she had to leave. Now, while we had all had a few drinks, no-one was overly drunk and we were all able to speak without slurring and make sense. Frea told them that she would go after her drink and that she hadn't done anything wrong. The woman bouncer then gave her her drink back and then the next thing I knew I was being taken down the stairs with my arm up my back and my head pushed down.

They completely over-reacted to nothing. It was ridiculous. So we stood outside and got a policewoman involved who was useless and did absolutely nothing to help. It really annoyed me that we were treated in this way in a place that was a complete hole. If those bouncers acted that way in somewhere that actually did have trouble going on, they would be out of a job. And also, if we had been different people who had turned violent in such a situation the whole thing could have kicked off majorly. They just can't act like that for no reason. I was so angry and even thinking about it now makes me irritated. I just hate it when people use their 'power' to abuse people. Still, there is a lesson learnt: don't give ugly people authority.

Right, after that it's on to rant number two. So today I was reading The Sun in the bar, simply because it was there, no other reason. Anyway, I came across a headline: You couldn't make it up - Fairy Tales. You can read the article here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007110660,00.html

It's about a new line of books that feature gay characters and is part of a new scheme to try and lessen prejudices about homosexuality USING TAX PAYERS MONEY (the usual flag when The Sun doesn’t like something). It's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking about on Valentines Day in regards to how soon are we making children aware of their sexuality. Anyway, the article is outraged about these books, practically saying that they shouldn't be allows. One loony Christian group is calling them “outrageous and wicked” when the only thing that is wicked is these people's prejudices. What really riles me about things like this is the fact that this paper, The Sun, was taking the moral high ground only a few months ago in regards to the 'race row' on Celebrity Big Brother, completely vilifying Jade Goody et al and going along with every other headline in the country saying her behaviour was, as one front page declared, 'pure evil.'

Now though it seems that The Sun is off its soap box, and it's okay to be narrow minded and prejudiced again. Phew! It must have been confusing for a while in The Sun office: 'Are we racist today or aren't we?'

I just can't believe in 2007 there has been such a reaction to such publications. How can parents be horrified, as The Sun claims them to be? Don't they want the best for their children? Isn't that what being a parent is all about? Wanting your child to be happy and content in their life? Well, clearly not if you're a Sun reader. The kids of narrow minded bigots like these people will only be happy with a child that is suffering in silence for years because they were never happy about their sexuality. If these books get pulled it will be a real shame because it's about time that material like this manifested. I knew that I was gay as young as about 8 and it was a weird feeling, imagining that this was something only I was going through. I for one would have been happy to read something like this. Children need reassurance. The only people that can corrupt a child's mind are the adults in their life and if this continues to happen we'll never breed a new generation.

Anyway, I have to confess something. I have a weird addiction to the BNP website. I hate it, but every week I find myself looking at what they write about news events. So today I couldn't help myself. Obviously they weren't happy about these books claming that they were teaching CHILDREN AS YOUNG AS FOUR YEARS OLD ABOUT GAY SEX. Which obviously they're not. Anyway, this is the most upsetting bit of their rant:

'The Equality Act states that all public institutions must meet the needs of gays and lesbians, but surely this shouldn't include the brainwashing of children as young as four years old!'

Brainwashing? Hardly, just letting kids know that you don’t have to be the same as everyone else in life.

So depressing.

xx

1 Comments:

Blogger Jacqui said...

Your blog has definitely had me giggling. I've been procrastinating, not writing anything I need to, but instead having an explore of fellow students blog's.
Back when I did my degree, the majority of my essays were about discrimination, and I wrote a few essays about being discriminated about because of sexuality. When I wrote them, the discussion of homosexuality was banned from the school curriculum. The ban being lifted was really positive, however your blog, really illustrated how far there still is to go.
You would be a brilliant columnist. I hope that happens for you.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home