Well yes actually, it is all about me.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A house that was as warm as a crypt.

So weird; I just came out of the gym and walked to the library and there were a bunch of grubby looking people lying around on foam mats on campus. There were about 20 of them and they were just lying in silence. It was all very bizarre.

Maybe they were flash-mobbers. I was talking with a friend about this the other day and it's the funniest concept. These people go on a website and they all agree a time and place to meet and perform one action. So maybe they would decide to meet at 9.30am on a Tuesday to hit each other on the head with spoons. Maybe.

I think it can be anything (legal) they want and then they just go off and carry on with their days. I think it's quite a nice idea and it must be the best thing to be watching and thinking, 'What the hell?' I suppose it depends on what day you catch them. I mean, it would be nice to see them all turn up in leopard print and have a bit of a shimmy but you'd feel like you'd drawn the short straw if they just turned up and clapped twice. Or maybe you wouldn't. I shouldn't be so assuming.

Anyway, what a great idea. Though I don't know how the people get to meet up. I just typed flash-mobbing into Google (the theme of the day being Edvard Munch's birthday) and the only things that came up were definitions of flash-mobbings. I guess once you're in the crowd they let you in on the secrets, though it seems a bit exclusive. I would be quite keen on joining them but they're playing hard to get.

So, other than that, the day has been kind of subdued. I came back to Cornwall last night to a house that was as warm as a crypt. I'm such a dummy; I turned off the heating when I left on Friday thinking, 'Oh it's a waste of money' but then when I got in last night it was colder than it was outside. That's not right. In fact, I think it's sick. Anyway, I layered up and whacked the heating to it's peak and then cooked my dinner while stepping over all the empty boxes and bottles that are lying around in a mass grave until tomorrow. It's so annoying; the recycling people only come once a week so by the time they're ready to take the stuff away it's mounted to the height of a fire risk and stinks. But we can't just put it out else it gets wet and then they won't take it. Honestly, the things I put up with.

This man sat in front of me just asked me, 'Are you British?' When I said I was he came over and asked what the word 'couple' means. So I told him that it meant two of something and sometimes refers to two people in a relationship at which point he laughed and I felt a bit uncomfortable. He said he had been asked to a party as a couple and he wasn't sure if he should go or not because he knows a woman he could ask but isn't sure how she would react. I told him he should ask her and they should go together and then he just laughed. And laughed. It wasn't nice. I did that thing where you smile for a bit then look back at your screen and try and make yourself look busy. He didn't go away for a few moments and just sort of loitered behind me. Then he said something I didn't understand and walked away.

Isn't is weird how some people are like that? Not that exactly, but those people who just don't seem to have any grasp of what and what isn't OK to do socially. It's like those people that you don't really know that well who get on the bus and you see them and look out the window with your headphones on, but still they wave and sit down and hound you for the entire journey. I hate that. It's so rude. And the conversation always dries up in about 2 minutes once you've exhausted the one thing you have in common and from then on it freefalls into the depths of social awkwardness. I always find myself pointing at things out of the window to fill the silence and making up crap conversation. I think of this as like a commentary since you are scraping the barrel of conversation and grasping anything you can; the woman at the bus stop with a bit green hat, the bright green door of someone's house, you get the picture. I like to call this 'commversation.' The definition? A blend between commentary and conversation, usually painful and draining. I have had a lot of these encounters and that's why I hate them so much. It's not even as if I feel the need to fill silence when I am with friends, that's a comfortable silence. But when someone chooses to sit next to you for a journey, they want you to deliver. They don't want you just sat there like a sack of poo. They want chit chat all the way. Oh, and they'll always sit just that bit too close too, and maybe talk so you can't quite hear them and have to strain EVEN THOUGH YOU DON'T CARE WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT ANYWAY. Well anyway, now that's off my chest I feel I can move on.

It's weird being here at Falmouth at the moment since most of the people I know have gone home so I am kind of isolated. But I'm happy with that. It means I can focus completely on my work which is good.

Right, that's enough for now I think.

xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home