Well yes actually, it is all about me.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Pizza and mulled wine.

Another weekend is coming to an end and I can't believe how quickly time is flying by. Yesterday I was still hungover from Thursday night so spent the day tidying my room, reading my book and watching some more Tales of the City. Then I went into Falmouth with a friend to find a pirate costume for next weekend. The company I used to work for are having their Christmas party and asked me along. I don't see why since the last time I was at a party with them I spent most of the time being sick before I passed out. This time however, I'm determined it will be a different story. The moment I start to feel like I'm talking rubbish I will stop drinking. That's the plan, though I'm sure things will take a turn for the worse after a couple of glasses of champagne. That's the thing when you go to a party arranged by a wine merchants; the booze keeps coming. The next thing you know you're slumped in the corner with everyone trying to pour black coffee down your neck and splashing your face with cold water.

Anyway, at least I have an outfit to turn up in despitre being sure I'll have lost the sword, eyepatch and/or bandana by the end of the night. Oh, and the beard. I don't really like fancy dress, it makes me feel really uncomfortable. I never feel I look quite in character and whatever I'm wearing is getting on my nerves. I'm sure this pirate theme won't be much different, having to drink using a hooked hand and trying to get at least 50% of my drink in my mouth and not down my beard. Though thinking about it, having an obstacle like the beard might help me in the sober stakes. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anyway, enough about the pirates. Last night my housemate and I cooked pizza and made mulled wine and some of our friends came over. It was a really nice night and the food and drink went down a treat. Jenny had a friend from London to visit so we took her to the Seven Stars, the local, to experience a traditional Cornish pub. We got there about 10.40 and the door was locked so we had to knock to be let in. He was having a lock in and the cut off was 10.30. I don't see why a lock-in is called that. Surely it should be a knock in instead? That would make more sense.

Anyway, today I haven't done too much. I read my book in bed for a while and have come onto campus with Antje, my housemate, to get out of the house. I'm going to get some work done later on but until then I am going to have a proper Sunday and take it easy. I bought the paper so am going to get home and read that while having some pizza from last night and some of Antje's German tea. I know how to treat myself.

So, other than that, not much else to talk about really. I'm going back to Bristol on Friday for the fancy dress party and to see some friends, Ian, and my parents, which will be nice. Especially to see my friend James since I haven't seen him since I moved. Not that I feel distant from him in anyway though since we speak all the time on the phone. It's funny that way with some friends I think. You can be really far from them but it doesn't affect your friendship at all. I have a friend in Canada, Lauren, and whenever I speak to her or we see each other it's so easy that we forget all about the distance and I love that. With some friends, you never feel you have been apart and you can just slip back into each others lives.

Thinking about slipping back into lives, I might already have mentioned this in another post, I am going back to my old job for a week before Christmas. I'm kind of looking forward to it but it will be weird to go back after having had a leaving party and saying my goodbyes. I'm sure it will be fine though and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. The people are great and there's no-one that, if you end up having your lunch with, you want to chew off your own cheeks. Which to me is always a good thing. But it will be odd to walk in on the Monday morning and get back to the routine that I left. It will be interesting though to see how much I write and get on with things when I am in that routine again. It will be almost like a test to make sure that I'm still in the writing frame of mind when I'm not in the same environment as I am here. If that makes any sense. I think I mentioned before that I read somewhere that it takes three weeks to get yourself into a new routine and I have been here for 2 months now. So I have no excuse.

Anyway, on that note I am going to head off and get some research done. More soon.

xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home