Well yes actually, it is all about me.

Friday, December 01, 2006

You should all have a dead body by this point.

I feel like I might collapse. I went out last night with some friends and I think I had a bad batch because today I feel like death. I blame the wine, the beer or the gin. Whichever it was has left me feeling ropey to say the least.

Anyway, I haven't written for a few days now so I should catch up on what's been going on. We have hot water again which is good so I had my first shower of the week this morning (afternoon to be precise) and stayed in until I started to wrinkle. It was a luxury.

Yesterday I had class and we each had to read the first three pages of a Catherine Cookson novel, and the first three pages of an Ed McBain novel summarising how many paragraphs, sentences and words were in each. The purpose was to show how completely different genre books are technically the same in the way that they are written, differing only slightly. For example, Cookson had more long sentences which were very descriptive whereas McBain writes more simply. It was really interesting and a good exercise. At one point though, my tutor, Bill, was talking about the Ed McBain books and said that for as much as we'd read. 'You should all have a dead body by this point.' Isn't that the weirdest sentence you heard? I had to write it down because it made me laugh and I wanted to share it with others. So there.

This week has flown by, it's ridiculous and in a weeks time term will be over which is scary. I have so much to do over Christmas but I'm looking forward to getting on with it. Plus, I have taken a week of work at my old job which will be good as at the moment things are looking bleak financially; bleak and miserable. I can hear my account weep when I take money out. It's a sad state of affairs.

Last night was really nice though, we went into Falmouth for drinks and to see the Christmas lights get turned on. Some of my friends have kids too so they came along which made it even nicer. Then we went for a curry and for a dance. It was a good night but this morning, as I said, I felt awful. It's bizarre, when I was studying my undergraduate I would go out like that all the time and then into lectures and be fine. But now, there's no way. It was a good job I had the day off. I lay in bed eating dry crackers (the only thing I had in the house) watching Tales of the City on DVD. I suppose once you get out of that habit and lifestyle or being out all the time, when you do get hammered it takes its toll. If you could see me now, you'd know that's the case.

Oh, last night we were talking over dinner about religion and I was telling everyone about a leaflet that came in the post for me this week. On the front it had an African boy smiling, holding a copy of the Bible and underneath it said, 'There's a hunger only God can satisfy.' I'm not religious at all and perhaps that's why I found this really bizarre. In the third world people are dying all the time for so many reasons, but a lot of the time due to hunger and thirst. Not for the Bible or for God, but for food and water. The idea that people donate money to prioritise a Bible for these people over basic human needs is insane. I can understand that those who do believe in God might think that faith in Him is all you need, but I just can't agree with that. And if you had faith, then how could you see sense in all the suffering in the world? I don't know, I'm feeling too shaky to think about this properly at the moment so I'm going to head off I think and get down to Asda.

Before I forget, I saw this news story the other day and it made me feel happysad.

Drunk moose drowns.

A drunk moose has drowned after falling through the ice of a frozen inlet in Sweden, according to a local paper.
"The moose appears to have eaten too many fermented apples and become confused out on the ice," said Luleaa police spokesman Erik Kummu.
Drunk moose are relatively common in Sweden in late autumn as the animals eat fallen apples which ferment slightly on the ground.

At least it went out happy. That's a cautionary tale for any moose out there, so spread the word.

xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home