Well yes actually, it is all about me.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

No hot water.

God, what a busy day. I had class from 9 till 2.30, then went to the gym and then to work on my website which has been a difficult beast to tame. The bloody thing wouldn't open in the website program we have to use but with a bit of help I managed to get things how I want them. Thank the lord (and Ryan for helping me). The gym wasn't as horrendous as the fisrt time I went but somehow I managed to lose the swipecard they gave me. I think the man on the front desk thought I stole it and made me go back in to look. I looked like a crazy peering at all the machines. Needless to say, it wasn't anywhere to be found.

Anyway, we had bad news in my house last night; the boiler died, which means no hot water at all. My housemate is behaving as if this is the worst thing that has ever happened, as if we don't have any water at all. I mean, I know it's annoying but you can wash in cold water for a few days until the thing gets fixed. It's not ideal, but people live in worse situations. Anyway, the man is meant to be coming tomorrow so she can't complain. But I don't doubt she will. When I saw her this morning she said she was going to the gym so I suggested she have a shower there. She didn't want to. I was telling a friend about this this morning and concluded saying, 'Well it is pretty horrible having to shower in front of everyone,' to which Sarah replied, 'Oh, in the girls you have a cubicle.' I don't see why women don't have to shower communally like men, or why men are not entitled to the privacy of a cubicle like their female gym-goers. How is this right in 2006?

I mean, maybe it made sense years and years ago when men were seen not to care about their image but now in a time in which footballers are near models in their appearance, it seems completely bizarre. Surely since men are going to the gym at all implies that they care about how they look, and perhaps they don't feel particularly comfortable being naked in front of other men. I don't know, maybe I am just getting annoyed for no reason but it just seems ridiculous. Men are as prone to low self esteem as women and are just as likely to compare themselves their peers. Why should men have to be thrown into an environment in which they are forced to expose their body at it's most vulnerable? I'm sure many men would be put off going to the gym knowing that the well deserved shower after would have to be shared with the muscle bound monster who hogged all the free weights. It just doesn't seem to make much sense. Anyway, I can't write anymore. I need to go home and eat something and then will write some more tomorrow.

xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home