Well yes actually, it is all about me.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I love charity shops, but there's a morbid feeling that washes over me when I see whole collections of things that have been donated. In my mind, it c

I love charity shops, but there's a morbid feeling that washes over me when I see whole collections of things that have been donated. In my mind, it can only mean that the owner has slipped away to another realm. Why else would they want to part with the entire series of Star Trek: The Next Generation? Why would they allow their prized Catherine Cookson to be snatched from their hands? Their beautiful range of porcelain owls? Surely death is the only answer.

On Sunday, Antje and I went into a charity shop in Penryn and saw a whole table full of face saunas and foot spas with the sign 'Perfect Xmas Gifts.' Now, either these all came from one person or, weirder still, they came from several. All at once. Who on earth donated these? And why? Who wants a second foot spa at any time of the year? Let alone Christmas. Ugh. I didn't even think charity shops were able to sell electrical items, let alone ones that were so intimate. If someone gave me one, I'd have to re-evaluate their place in my life. Still, just because I didn't want one, doesn't mean my family and friends feel the same. I bought three.

So, what with that joyful discovery and the fact that I've been tap, tap, tapping at the keyboard resulting in 36,500 words, I'm feeling good. I've made a deadline with myself to get 40,000 words by Thursday night and 50,000 by the time I go to Bristol at Christmas. This actually doesn't feel implausible, which is good since I usually set demands of myself that leave me frazzled and weeping on the keyboard, 'Why did I bother?' This is not a good frame of mind. No, no.

Oh, I'm life modelling again tonight, and I'm feeling much more in the right head-space than last week when I would rather have eaten my own skull. I think it's partly because it's the last class this term, and also because I'm feeling as though I've been really productive these last few days. Hurrah!

Right, I'm going to walk the streets. I haven't been out of the house at all today and it's starting to get to me.

xx

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I feel the same when I see the empty deflated twin cups of a donated bra.

Who would buy such a thing?

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home