Well yes actually, it is all about me.

Friday, March 30, 2007

'I know, let's have a key that acts like Pac-Man and gobbles up whole pages of text before the user realises. Let's call it 'insert.''

If someone can explain to me the use of the 'insert' key on a keyboard, I'll be over the moon.

I hate the bloody thing. It's so annoying. I just looked at a chunk of text that I wanted to add to, right in the middle of the paragraph, pressed delete, but my finger must have slipped and landed on 'insert', which meant I overwrote loads of work. Ugh.

What use does this key have? What benefit is it to anyone? I guess the people that designed the QWERTY keyboard thought, 'Well, we've got space for six keys. What have we got so far? Home, (makes sense, useful), page up, (makes sense, useful), delete, (makes sense, useful), end, (makes sense, useful), page down, (makes sense, useful). What should we use for the sixth? Oh! I know, let's have a key that acts like Pac-Man and gobbles up whole pages of text before the user realises. Let's call it 'insert.'' (Doesn't make sense. Shit).

And what does 'insert' even mean? Insert what? Just loads of frustration in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm back to work (insert key avoiding).

xx

3 Comments:

Blogger emapple said...

Just popped in to say definitely coming out on Sat - going to bring my sister too.

Stop doing so much work - you're making me feel very guilty!

Seriously, well done for being so disciplined and getting so much done.

Oh, and I never used to like the insert key, although there's been a couple of times recently when I've used it on purpose to change blocks of text.

xx

2:51 PM  
Blogger Jacqui said...

Am such as a technophobe,and I pressed 'insert' a fair few times. Not knowing what I had done, I've got round it by writing after what I've already written, until one of my daughters came home so they could sort it out for me.
Only trouble with them sorting it out for me, was that it's only been recently I've learnt what I have done and been able to press the button to sort it out on my accord.

Pathetic isn't it.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yo Tullmina,

The insert key sure does suck.

But have you discovered Ctrl Z? If you hold down control and press Z it reverses what ever you last did. This is not much help if you have insert typed over masses of text but if you've only just done a bit of it, invaluable.

But repeated use of it somehow seeps into the brain, and you forget you can't use it in real life, like if you accidently say something stupid or trip over.

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home