Well yes actually, it is all about me.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Return of the annoying girl.

Oh. My. God. That wretched girl I wrote about the other day (the one who wouldn't let her friend do any work and kept asking inane questions, see 'I have a problem.') is in the library again and this time sat in my eye line. I swear she has typed about 10 words since I have been here which is about half an hour. She opens a book, closes it. Looks around the room. Looks back at the screen. Then talks to her friend. Then opens the book. Closes it. Logs onto myspace and scrolls through ALL her friends' profiles. Then looks round the room. I can't go on. See, the problem I have is that I have so much to be doing and the fact that she seems to have nothing to do grates on me quite harshly. I don't know, perhaps I am being a complete crazy but I just find it really annoying. I mentioned it to a friend of mine the other day and she said 'well, she's probably just a first year.' Which I guess, I was kind of the same when I studied my undergrad course but it still seems wrong. I mean, why did I have that time to waste? Oh, she's on the move now, harassing someone else like some sort of computer-pest.

Anyway, I digress. Yeah, so I was thinking about my undergraduate course the other day and summarised that it could have been condensed into just two years at most. There was a lot of time that I wasn't doing much other than getting into more and more debt. But, like anything else, I suppose education is a business and they want the maximum amount of money that they can get. It's not good. So, thinking and reminiscing about my previous 3 years at Uni I was thinking how different the social aspect is this time with a Masters. In my undergrad course I was very much part of a clique. I only ever went anywhere with the same few people and, although I didn't feel lost without them, it always felt as if I should be with them rather than investing time with anyone else. I don't regret it at all but living in that way was very limiting and meant that our friendships became very fraught, especially when we moved into a shared house together. Now though I feel a lot more independent and can focus more on my work, the reason I chose to study a Masters in the first place. I remember reading in The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho that when we see people everyday, we start to want the person to change, to become someone we can justify spending all our time with. But we should never want anyone to change if we are truly interested in them. I suppose being so close only to a few people is limiting because we have so many sides to our personality that we seek company for each of these. By only being in close contact with a few people, we start to project other wishes onto them and may end up resenting them for not fulfilling our requirements. That all sounds a bit Dawsons Creek I realised as I read it back but I reckon it's true. And that is that.

xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home