Well yes actually, it is all about me.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Dinner date.

I've just finished an essay titled ‘Cannibalism is a Good Thing.’ The intention of this essay, along with any other in this module of my course, was to persuade. Regardless of your personal belief you have to write listing the pros and cons before coming to a conclusion that agrees with your title. Alarmingly, I have convinced myself that cannibalism is indeed a good thing. When I first started this essay I have to say that I was a bit anxious as to what to say, not really knowing where to start or where to finish for that matter.

However, having written just over the allotted two pages I feel as if I have a better view on cannibalism. One of the elements that I wasn’t able to go into because of the space restriction was the idea that cannibalism is disrespectful to the human body. I think that many people think that eating another person is degrading, for both the eater and the eatee. But I have been thinking about this and how we often see people as simply a ‘piece of meat.’ Go into any bar in the centre of town on a Friday or Saturday night and you will inevitably see near naked flesh being oggled at by hungry eyes. This often results in a one night stand in which two people treat each others bodies as nothing more than a carcass, poking, prodding and penetrating with no care for the emotions. I guess this is kind of similar in the sense that the actual soul of the body is just disregarded and complete attention is given to the body and the body alone. Not that I’m saying one-night stands equal cannibalism. I just wanted to make an observation.

xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home