Well yes actually, it is all about me.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Overdue.

Christ. The 14th of May? Is that really when I last blogged? I can't believe it. How much has changed. The sun's come out for a start and I'm finally 100% happy with where my novel is going. I think it's going to be a good summer. Well, so long as I stick to the timetable I've drawn up and therefore can enjoy some guiltfree time on the beach.

Anyway, what has happened since the 14th? That fateful last posting. Was I temporarily left paralysed by a potion handed to me by a witch doctor? Had I forgotten how to blog? (Maybe). Had I had my finger tips bitten off by vile crows? No, no, and no! I simply fled Cornwall for Bristol for a week off. As if a week off exists with something like a novel. But I came back completely refreshed and ready, for about the third time, to start from scratch. It felt good to finally say, 'No, this isn't working,' to the previous drafts I had written, and to begin again. I've decided on three narratives going from gay man, to wife, to husband, and have drawn up their character journeys and arcs, which has given me a) a lot more structure and b) a lot more confidence in completing a first draft. I'm feeling great about the whole thing now, especially after today in the sun at Sara's for our new weekly novel session. Each of us has about 45 minutes in which to have sections of our work we want feedback on read aloud by someone else, then focus on firstly the good, then the bad elements of the work. It's really useful, particularly to hear someone else reading. And you can sit in the garden and tan while you do it. Oh, and watch grubby, slutty dogs try and sit on each other's faces. How better to spend a summers afternoon?

So, yes, as I mentioned, I went back to Bristol for a week. It was lovely to see everyone. Ian's had a tough time of it though. All set for getting a cat, he went and met several of the feline world, all prepared for one of them to become his. The choices were wittled down to two before he discovered he's allergic to cats, cue 'What a catastrophe' 'That's not purrfect' 'He's not feline good.' It was horrible. We ended up going to casualty on the Saturday because he was so worried that the reaction hadn't calmed down. The woman at the counter of the hospital was reassuring though, commenting on the puffiness of his eyes with:

'You looks like a panda.'

Nice. Thanks for that. Still, all's well now, but cats are not for me to touch when I'm with him from now on. Unless I'm feeling particularly malicious. Or catty. Whoop!

So, other than that, the Bristol jaunt also included seeing two fantastic films: Jindabyne and The Lives of Others, and spending some time with my parents. It was great to see them before they went away to Holland (they arrived today - all well and good). I was glad to have gone back really because it meant I came back a lot more refreshed and completely ready to get on with the task ahead of me.

Right, so on that note, I'm going to head off and will write again soon (ish).

xx

1 Comments:

Blogger miss-cellany said...

Yay - seems we were all overdue (although not as overdue as my library books) to start blogging again. And here we are again... x

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home